Advent Adventure || Second Sunday of Advent || Call Out
Sunday, December 6, 2020 — Worship@Home resources for FirstPres Hayward
As our congregation has made the decision to move to a digital online format for our Sunday Family Gathering due to COVID-19, FirstPresKids is here to provide resources that can help you create your own at-home family worship experience or supplement the one that will be streamed on Sunday mornings, 10PST from FirstPres Hayward.
NOTE: You can also go to the FPK YouTube Channel to view most (not all) of these materials on this week’s FirstPresKids YouTube Playlist.
Scriptural Focus: the story of John the Baptist living and preaching in the wilderness, calling out to “the one more powerful” — to Jesus who will come soon!
Lesson Objective: to understand that it is OK to be afraid and brave at the same time; to acknowledge the ways the world can feel like the wilderness and that it is OK and good to call out to “the one more powerful than us” when we need Jesus to come meet us where we are; also to learn about edible insects ;)
- “The Many Shades of Fear-Based Parenting” (article)
- “Ages & Stages: Helping Children Manage Fears” (article)
Opening or Closing Prayer: Dear God, As we prepare to celebrate the arrival of Jesus on Christmas, when our lives, the world, the pandemic make us feel like we’re in the wilderness; when the roads and paths ahead of us need to be made straight, help us like John the Baptist to call out to the one more powerful then us. We pray that Jesus will meet us where we are. We know he will come! Amen.
- Mark 1:1–7 (“Jesus is Baptized Mark 1:1–11”)
Videos for Kids:
- What is something you fear? Or tell about a time you felt afraid.
- Do you think fear is good or bad? Natural or not? Why do you think fear exists?
- What have the adults in your lives told you about fear? About how to handle it?
- Something new is happening soon on our Advent Adventure (the birth of Jesus and a new way of living!)It’s normal to feel afraid of something new. Even the angels told Mary and the shepherds “Do not be afraid!” But, you can also be brave like Mary, like John the Baptist, like the shepherds. What are things you can do to help you be brave?
- Take an Advent Adventure Walk or just look out your window… use this tutorial for a “Five Senses Nature Walk”… keep an eye out for insects and other signs of animal life like in this video:
- Make an insect from objects you find around the house. Here’s some examples:
- Add to or create an Advent Adventure wreath/display area of your own using found materials or use this printable “Advent Adventure” resource (pdf)